JB Davis, President and Founder
John has founded and directed innovation-oriented corporations for the better part of two decades, building institutions that serve clients in more than 120 countries. In the course of his work in the cinematic, tech, and environmental fields, he has met with heads of state and led partnerships with Fortune 500 firms, the United Nations, US government agencies, universities, and dozens of private institutions.
John created the Center for New Cinema to illuminate the future of movies. He is pleased to provide a valuable glimpse over the horizon for the broad array of industries that hold a strategic stake in motion pictures.
Shawn Brixey, Creative Director
Shawn is Dean of the School of the Arts, Media, Performance and Design at York University in Toronto – Canada’s largest fine arts school and among the largest in North America. Prior to arriving at York, Shawn was chair and co-founder of the Center for Digital Arts and Experimental Media at the University of Washington (DXARTS). Before that, from 1998-2002, he served as director of the Center for Digital Art and New Media Research at the University of California at Berkeley.
A graduate of MIT’s CAVS/Media Lab, Shawn lectures widely in the US and Europe on new and emerging media art forms, and has received multiple major grants and awards to support his research, including from Apple, Boxlight, Corporation for Public Broadcasting, Hughes Aircraft, IBM GmbH, Intel, Leica, National Endowment for the Arts, National Institutes of Health, National Science Foundation (a 2011 EAGER grant), Newport/Klinger Research Corporation, Rockefeller Foundation, and Silicon Graphics. Shawn is a member of the International Scientific Advisory Committee for Canada’s GRAND National Research Network on graphics, animation, and new media.
Melissa Albert, Marketing Director
Melissa is Principal of O’Neill Communications, offering a broad range of marketing, planning, branding, PR, and other services to public and private institutions — from the US Government to tech startups to arts organizations.
She previously served as Account Supervisor at DDB Worldwide, overseeing integrated communications campaigns for multiple companies, products, and issues. She also founded a multi-platform media network dedicated to parenting.
- Stephen Lang: Actor, Avatar
- Alvy Ray Smith, Ph.D.: Co-Founder, Pixar
- David Linde: CEO, Participant Media; Former Co-Chairman, Universal Pictures
- Lauren Shuler Donner: Producer, X-Men films
- Dean DeBlois: Director and writer, How to Train Your Dragon 2 and Lilo & Stitch
- Jaron Lanier: Computer scientist and philosopher, “father” of virtual reality
- Paul Debevec, Ph.D.: Chief Visual Officer, USC Institute for Creative Technologies, leading developer of photoreal digital actors
- Yoky Matsuoka, Ph.D.: Cognitive scientist, roboticist, VP of Technology and Analytics at Twitter
- Charlton Reynders III: Executive Producer, multiple major IMAX films including To the Arctic 3D and Whales
- Vince Zampella: CEO, Respawn Entertainment, developer of top-selling Titanfall video game
- Mark Benerofe: Former VP of Programming, Sony Online Ventures
- Kristina Hudson: Director, Washington Interactive Network